Taking the next step: EU awards €575 million to mid-career researchers
BackgroundDue to increasing submission numbers, since 2013 the ERC Starting Grant scheme has been split in two: the ERC Starting Grant, targeted at researchers with at least 2 and up to 7 years’ experience after their PhD; and the new ERC Consolidator Grant for researchers with over 7 and up to 12 years’ experience after their PhD. The previous Starting Grant call (2012) had two sub-streams (“starters” and “consolidators”), which corresponded to the current division. The demand for the Consolidator Grants rose by 46% this year, compared to the corresponding group of applicants in 2012.
The ERC Consolidator Grant in brief:
- For top researchers of any nationality and age, with over 7 and up to 12 years’ experience after PhD, and a scientific track record showing great promise.
- Based on a simple approach: 1 researcher, 1 host institution, 1 project, 1 selection criterion: excellence
- Host institution should be based in the European Research Area (EU Member States plus countries associated with the EU research programme). No consortia. No co-funding is required.
- Funding: up to €2.75 million per grant for up to 5 years
- Calls for proposals: published annually. See updated information on the upcoming calls here.