IKEA invests in a pilot programme to bring biofuel to the shipping industry
- The bio heavy fuel oil is functionally equivalent to petroleum-derived marine fuels – a so called “drop-in” fuel.
- No modification is required to the engine or the fuel infrastructure.
- The bio heavy fuel oil meets the most stringent sustainability criteria.
- The bio heavy fuel oil is completely derived from forest residues and waste oil products.
- In the planned landmark refueling, the biofuel oil consists of waste used cooking oil and forest residues – both of which have been sourced and processed in Europe.
- The bio heavy fuel oil is expected to deliver 80 – 90% well-to-propeller CO2 reduction versus fossil equivalents, and virtually eliminate sulphur oxide (SOx) emissions.
The CMA CGM Group is a world leader of maritime transport. Its 509 ships serve more than 420 ports worldwide on the 5 continents. Source: IKEA, press release, 12, March, 2019