EU consultation: How can we make the EU a better place for SMEs?
Five pillars to help the EU’s small businesses thriveThis spring, European level business organisations and national government SMES representatives (SME envoys) already agreed that the four existing pillars of the SBA should remain:
- Access to finance: Even with some indication of a more positive outlook, SMEs are still much in need of affordable solutions for their financing needs.
- Access to markets / internationalisation: For SMEs to grow new markets need to be explored.
- Entrepreneurship: continued support for potential entrepreneurs is crucial because of continuing levels of high unemployment especially among young people.
- Better regulation: the reduction of administrative burdens continues to remain an important target, despite progress already made in this area.
- Training and skills of entrepreneurs and staff: for the economy to grow entrepreneurs need skills themselves and skilled staff.